You know those times when you go into the kitchen to make a “simple salad” and a few minutes later, you feel like you’ve created a masterpiece and want to share it with the world? Just me? Okay, so yes…I get really excited about vegetables. But look how pretty this salad is! It is now a go-to summer salad and only takes a couple of minutes to throw together. It’s also a great salad to serve at dinner parties, since the bright green of the arugula and avocado make the colorful watermelon radish really pop! A great way to liven up your table.
Here’s what you need (for one serving):
- 1-2 cups arugula
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 small watermelon radish, thinly sliced
- 1-2 T walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 5-6 chopped green olives (I used castelvetrano)
- 3-4 basil leaves, chopped
- 1-2 t olive oil
- 1 t balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt, to taste
Here’s what you do:
- I like to toss my greens with dressing before adding the goodies on top. Put the arugula in a bowl and add olive oil, vinegar and sea salt. Give it a good toss.
- Add everything else on top. You can also add another sprinkle of sea salt, just for good measure.
Pin and save for later:
Gorgeous photo! I would make this, but I am unfamiliar with watermelon radishes. What do they taste like?!
Hi Marie! Thanks for the comment! Watermelon radishes are similar in taste to other radishes. They are more mild in flavor, and slightly peppery and sweet. If you can’t find watermelon radish, you can always use the common red globe radish. Your plate won’t be quite as colorful, but it won’t change the nutritional profile too much, so you’ll still be getting all of the health benefits, and a pretty white and red color in your salad.