Did you read the recent post on “Why You Should Eat More Sardines” and now you’re wondering how to get started? This sardine salad has an abundance of nutrients from these tiny fish, plus antioxidant power from turmeric. Sardines are an amazing source of calcium, a great option if you currently don’t tolerate dairy.
To recap on some of the benefits of these tiny, oily fish, the nutrients in sardines can:
- Support neurological function and slow cognitive decline
- Protect your heart
- Support strong and healthy bones
- Boost your immune system
Ready to add sardines to your diet? Let’s get started!
Ingredients for Sardine Salad:
- 1 can sardines (I like Wild Planet sardines, packed in olive oil)
- 5 grape or cherry tomatoes, diced
- 5 olives, diced (I used castelvetrano, since I always have them on hand)
- 2 T chopped celery
- 1/4 t turmeric
- 1/4 t mustard powder
- A splash of apple cider vinegar (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 T basil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 medium sliced cucumber
- Gluten-free sourdough toast
How to make sardine salad:
- Dump the sardines into a medium bowl and mash with a fork until the fish is the texture of canned tuna.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, olives, celery, turmeric, mustard powder, apple cider vinegar, basil, sea salt and pepper. Stir and combine all the ingredients.
- Serve with sliced cucumber or gluten-free crackers for dipping.
- Share this recipe with a friend!