This is definitely on the list of my most favorite salads because this kale salad is anything but boring. And let’s be honest, sometimes, eating kale salad can feel boring. So let’s mix it up! The best part is, you can change the fruits in the salad so that it meets what’s available both locally and seasonally. Right now, I’ve been using apples and pears, but trust me on this when I say pineapple is the way to go.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 c shredded coconut
- 1/4 c dried currants
- 1-2 c of your favorite in-season fruits (apples, pears, berries…or like I said, get crazy and go mango and pineapple. You won’t regret it)
- 1/4-1/2 c toasted macadamia nuts, chopped
- 2 T avocado oil
- 3-4 T apple cider vinegar
- sea salt, to taste
Here’s what you do:
- Put all of your chopped kale into a large salad bowl and add your apple cider vinegar first. Toss the kale so that’s it’s evenly coated. Next add the avocado oil and sea salt and do the same, only this time, gently massage the oil, salt and vinegar into the kale. This will help break down some of the toughness that kale can often have.
- Toss in the shredded coconut.
- Add the currants and arrange the fruit and macadamia nuts on top.
- Tahdah! Enjoy your flavorful, nutrient-dense tropical kale salad.