Ah! Fresh basil! Does it get better than that?! Well, maybe…but at least, for a few moments, as I sliced, sauteed, and devoured these mushrooms, the aroma of and brightness of the fresh basil had me feeling on top of the world. It’s the little things, right?
This is one of my favorite summertime sides. It goes great with grilled chicken, pork, and steak. And to top it off, it is such a simple dish that adds richness to any meal! Delight!
1 Shallot, diced
1-2 T Basil, chopped or thinly sliced
1 t Thyme, fresh or dried
4 oz Mushrooms, cremini or baby bellas
Salt and Pepper
1 T Ghee
1. Melt the ghee over medium high heat.
2. Toss in the shallot and cook until soft, about 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms, being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
4. Let the mushrooms cook on the pan so they start to brown, then stir occasionally to make sure they brown on both sides. Be careful not to overcrowd your pan with mushrooms or you’ll have a tricky time with the browning.
5. Once the mushrooms look beautiful and golden, turn down the heat and toss in the fresh thyme, basil, salt and pepper.
6. Stir until the basil is just barely wilted and all is well combined.
7. Plate it up and enjoy!