You can’t go wrong with this Chipotle Cauliflower Mash! Made with mineral-rich bone broth, it packs a bit of a kick with chipotle and chopped jalapeno.
Catch the recent article on The Best Foods for Detox? If so, you know that cauliflower and other cruciferous veggies top my list for liver-supportive foods. Cauliflower is a great source of dietary sulfur, in the form of sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinol. These compounds are key to both phases of liver detox and have the ability to detox especially harmful, cancer-causing compounds from the body.
Cauliflower is also a great source of vitamin C, B vitamins, and manganese. Each of these nutrients also plays important roles in detox. You’ll also find ghee (my favorite!) in this recipe. Ghee and grass-fed butter are both good sources of the short-chain fatty acid, butyrate. Butyrate is important for gut health. It can improve intestinal function and integrity.[2, 3]
Okay, now to the cooking and the eating.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 head cauliflower, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 T ghee or grass-fed butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 t chipotle powder
- 1/2 t chopped jalapeno (optional, if you like spicy)
- 1-2 T bone broth, adjust depending on how thick you want your mash (I used this kind, but any kind will do. You can also make your own.)
- Sea salt, to taste (about 1 teaspoon)
- Fresh ground pepper, about 1/2 teaspoon
- Cilantro or thinly sliced green onions, for garnish (optional)
Here’s what you do:
- Add about 1-2 inches of water to a large pot (make sure it has a steamer insert). Bring the water to a boil. (you could also use a vegetable steamer if you have one.)
- Once the water has started to boil, add the cauliflower and garlic on top of the steamer insert. Add a few sprinkles of sea salt. Cover the pot and let the cauliflower steam for about 12 minutes.
- Once the cauliflower has steamed, through it (and the garlic) into your food processor. Add the ghee, spices, chopped jalapeno, pepper and bone broth. Add a few more sprinkles of sea salt. Pulse in the food processor until combined. Then turn the food processor to “on” and let the mash get smooth and creamy. Taste test (otherwise known as the best part of cooking). Add more salt, if needed.
- Remove the cauliflower from the food processor (mind the blade!). Garnish with cilantro or sliced green onion.
- Enjoy your cauliflower mash and try not to eat the whole bowl (although no judgment if you do!).
Save and pin for later: