If you’ve tried my recipe for Salmon and Sweet Potato Cakes, you know I’m a big fan of this pink fish. It’s delicious, yes. But it’s also full of nutrients, including anti-aging astaxanthin and anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids. This recipe for southwest salmon includes all the benefits salmon and then some with even more antioxidants coming from loads of flavorful spices such as coriander, cayenne, cumin, and paprika.
Not all salmon are created equal (or shall I say, their nutrient content is not equal). The source of your salmon, how it was raised, and what the salmon ate can greatly alter both the nutrient content, as well as the toxin content (no one needs any more mercury in their diet!). Your best bets when shopping for salmon are wild-caught. Wild-caught salmon is lower in mercury content and higher in nutrient density than its farmed counterparts.[1, 2]
Here’s what you need:
- 2 5-ounce wild-caught salmon filets (best choices are sockeye, king and coho)
- 1 T avocado oil or ghee, plus 1 T ghee
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced (I used yellow)
- 1/2-1 t chipotle chili powder (depending on how much you like spice!)
- 1/4 t smoked paprika
- 1/4 t cumin
- 1/4 t coriander
- Dash of cayenne
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Combine all of the spices, except salt and pepper, in a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine the salmon filets with the seasoning blend and 1 T of cooking fat. I used avocado oil. Set aside and let those flavors sink into the salmon.
- Heat 1 T ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is nice and hot, add the peppers and onions. Let them cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the peppers have cooked about 5 minutes, move them to the side of the pan. Add the salmon to the center of the pan and sear on each side about 2-3 minutes.
- Give the peppers another stir.
- Transfer the pan to the middle rack of your oven. Let the salmon and peppers cook under the broiler about 6-8 minutes.
- Using all the oven mitts, remove the very hot pan from the oven with caution.
- Plate your salmon and garnish with a lime wedge and cilantro.
- I served this with a colorful slaw with fennel and orange and chipotle cauliflower mash. Mmmmm mmmmm.
Pin this recipe and save for later: